- 2 (14 oz.) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ stick salted sweet cream butter
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 med size russet potato, peeled, diced
- 1 c. peeled and diced zucchini
- 1½ c. diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper, several cranks
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- ½ pkg. (4 oz.) mini cubed ham, drained
- 14 oz. can Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 32 oz. pkg. chicken broth
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh parsley, diced
Chop the vegetables and prepare all of the ingredients. Rinse and drain the beans. Remove 1½ cups beans to a small bowl. Mash them until smooth. Set the mashed and unmashed beans aside.
Heat butter in a large 5 quart pot over med-high heat. Cook vegetables, garlic, herbs, seasonings, and ground pepper for 15 minutes. Stir every 3-4 minutes.
Sprinkle flour evenly over the top and stir to combine. Stir in ham, tomatoes, broth, and mashed beans. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, stir in remaining beans. Taste to check if there is enough salt and pepper. Serve in bowls and sprinkle each with cheese and parsley.