- 3 lbs. (5 medium) Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾” cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c. green onions and their tops, cut into thin slices
- 1/8 c. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/8 c. fresh chives, chopped
- ¾ stick salted, sweet cream butter
- 6 oz. cream cheese, at room temp. and cubed
- ½ c. heavy whipping cream
- 1¾ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. pepper
- 8 oz. Brie cheese, rind removed and cubed
- freshly ground pepper
Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling, salted water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain them.
In a small pan over medium-high heat, sauté garlic, onion, thyme, and chives in butter for 2 minutes.
With a mixer, mash the potatoes, onion/butter mixture, cream cheese, whipping cream, salt, and 1½ tsp. pepper on low to then medium speed. Mix until everything is nicely blended together. It will be thick. Don’t add additional whipping cream. (It will thin when it’s baked in the oven with the Brie.) Taste it to adjust the seasoning if needed.
By hand, stir in the Brie cheese. Transfer it to a 1½ quart casserole dish. Refrigerate until ready to bake.
Preheat oven to 450°. Bake for 15 minutes. Garnish it with thyme or chives and freshly ground pepper.